Foto: Trond Bergesen.
EFRS definition of a Radiographer
Radiographers are medical imaging experts who:
- are professionally accountable to the patients’ physical and psychosocial wellbeing, prior to, during and following examinations or therapy
- take an active role in justification and optimisation of medical imaging and radio therapeutic proceduresare key-persons in radiation safety of patients and third persons in accordance with the “As Low As Reasonably Achievable (ALARA)” principle and relevant legislation.
- DIAGNOSTIC radiographers (Medical Imaging) are responsible for the preparation and performance of safe and accurate imaging examinations and post processing, using a wide range of sophisticated X-ray equipment and techniques.
In many European countries these techniques also include the use of:
- high frequency sound = Ultrasound
- strong magnetic fields = Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI)
- radioactive tracers = Nuclear Medicine
Source : efrs.eu